Patrik N. Juslin is a professor of psychology at the Department of Psychology, Uppsala University, Sweden, where he directs their research and teaching in music psychology.
He is the director of the inter-disciplinary research projects Feedback Learning of Musical Expressivity (Feel-ME), Appraisal in Music and Emotion (AMUSE) and MecWork, and a co-director of the project Music for Health and Subjective Well-being. He is a member of the International Society for Research on Emotions (ISRE), and received ESCOM’s Young Researcher Award in 1996.
Professor Juslin has published numerous articles in the areas of expression in music performance, emotional responses to music, music education, and emotion in speech, in journals that include Psychological Bulletin, Emotion, Behavioral and Brain Sciences, Journal of Experimental Psychology, Music Perception, and Psychology of Music. He also edited the books "Music and Emotion: Theory and Research" and "Handbook of Music and Emotion: Theory, Research, Applications" for Oxford University Press together with John Sloboda. Alongside his work as a researcher, Juslin has worked professionally as a guitar player and toured internationally with blues/jazz bands.
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Juslin, P. N., & Sloboda, J. A. (Eds.). (2001). Music and emotion: Theory and research. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Juslin, P. N., & Sloboda, J. A. (Eds.). (2010). Handbook of music and emotion: Theory, research, applications. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Juslin, P. N. (2000). Cue utilization in communication of emotion in music performance: Relating performance to perception. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Perception and Performance, 26, 1797-1813.
- Juslin, P. N. (1997). Emotional communication in music performance: A functionalist perspective and some data. Music Perception, 14, 383-418.
- Juslin, P. N., Friberg, A., & Bresin, R. (2002). Toward a computational model of expression in music performance: The GERM model. Musicae Scientiae, Special Issue 2001-2002, 63-122.
- Juslin, P. N., Karlsson, J., Lindström, E., Friberg, A., & Schoonderwaldt, E. (2006). Play it again with feeling: Computer feedback in musical communication of emotions. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Applied, 12, 79-95.
- Juslin, P. N., & Laukka, P. (2003). Communication of emotions in vocal expression and music performance: Different channels, same code? Psychological Bulletin, 129, 770-814.
- Juslin, P. N., & Laukka, P. (2001). Impact of intended emotion intensity on cue utilization and decoding accuracy in vocal expression of emotion. Emotion, 1, 381-412.
- Juslin, P. N., Liljeström, S., Laukka, P., Västfjäll, D., & Lundqvist, L.-O. (in press). Emotional reactions to music in a nationally representative sample of Swedish adults: Prevalence and causal influences. Musicae Scientiae (Special Issue on Music and Emotion).
- Juslin, P. N., Liljeström, S., Västfjäll, D., Barradas, G., & Silva, A. (2008). An experience sampling study of emotional reactions to music: Listener, music, and situation. Emotion, 8, 668-683.
- Juslin, P. N., & Västfjäll, D. (2008). Emotional responses to music: The need to consider underlying mechanisms. Behavioral and Brain Sciences, 31, 559-575.
- Laukka, P., & Juslin, P. N. (2007). Similar pattern of age-related differences in emotion recognition from speech and music. Motivation and Emotion, 31, 182-191.
- Laukka, P., Juslin, P. N., & Bresin, R. (2005). A dimensional approach to vocal expression of emotion. Cognition & Emotion, 19, 633-653.
- Leitman, D. I., Laukka, P., Juslin, P. N., Saccente, E., Butler, P., & Javitt, D. C. (2010). Getting the cue: Towards a sensory basis of auditory emotion recognition impairments in schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 36, 545-556.
- Lundqvist, L. O., Carlsson, F., Hilmersson, P., & Juslin, P. N. (2009). Emotional responses to music: Experience, expression, and physiology. Psychology of Music, 37, 61-90.
- Gabrielsson, A., & Juslin, P. N. (2003). Emotional expression in music. In H. H. Goldsmith, R. J. Davidson, & K. R. Scherer (Eds.), Handbook of affective sciences (pp. 503-534). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Juslin, P. N. (in press). Vocal expression of affect: Promises and problems. In E. Altenmüller, S. Schmidt, & E. Zimmerman (Eds.), Evolution of emotional communication: From sounds in nonhuman mammals to speech and music in man. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Juslin, P. N., & Scherer, K. R. (2005). Vocal expression of affect. In J. A. Harrigan, R. Rosenthal, & K. R. Scherer (Eds.), The new handbook of methods in nonverbal behavior research (pp. 65-135). New York: Oxford University Press.
- Juslin, P. N., & Sloboda, J. A. (in press). Music and emotion. In D. Deutsch (Ed.), The psychology of music (3rd ed.). Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- Västfjäll, D., Juslin, P. N., & Hartig, T. (in press). Music, subjective well-being, and health: The role of everyday emotions. In R. MacDonald, G. Kreutz, & L. Mitchell (Eds.), Music, health, and well-being. New York: Oxford University Press.
Patrik N. Juslin
Department of Psychology
Uppsala University, Box 1225
Blåsenhus, von Kraemers allé 1A
SE-751 42 Uppsala